Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Potato Latkes

I do not eat much starch but the odd time I do I prefer its potato as it seems to provide me virtually no issues with GERD, etc...

So when I am not keto currently I have found this a wonderful addition to breakfast, on a plate of bacon, eggs, and some quality sour cream to top it off (full fat of course).

Latkes with a big dollop of sour cream, bacon, left over Christmas ham
pepper parmesan scrambled farm fresh eggs!  Wonderful and by the end of the day
I will be easily under 20% calories from carbs.

Latkes


I am going to give the recipe in ratios, so you can double it up as you wish.

  • You will need some butter and tallow (ideally) or other paleo friendly oils to fry the latkes in a pan

Four each 4 small latkes

  • One large potato, grated and pressed of excess water
  • One medium or small shallot peeled and chopped fine
  • 1 small egg or half a large egg, depending how dry you can get the grated potato
  • 1 1/2 tsp of tapioca, almond flour, or coconut flower
  • 1/2 tsp of unrefined natural gelatin (to boost nutrient profile on the sly)
  • 1/2 tsp of herbs, I like a bruschetta mix
  • Some quality salt and pepper
  • Some garlic puree or chopped garlic


Method

Shred the potato, I recommend a brown cloth so the potato starch does not stain it later
Place the shredded potato in a clean cloth, wring and press out as much water as you possibly can
Get a good hand strength workout!

Add the chopped shallots and sprinkle in all dry ingredients
Then mix it up with a fork
Add the eggs then mix very well
Resulting mixture
Heat a pan to medium with butter and tallow
Fry both sides, ideally it will take about 3 minutes a side to get there so you know center is cooked
Add a large dollop of quality sour cream, creme freche, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam! Just questions or comments and feedback please.